Cosmetic dentistry focuses on improving the appearance of your mouth, teeth, and smile. This includes changing tooth color, adjusting tooth size, contouring the gums, restoring fractured edges, and realigning the teeth using the prosthesis. Getting cosmetic dentistry isn’t about wanting to impress people or flaunting high status. It’s all about feeling better about yourself.
Cosmetic dentistry has gained popularity even in smaller urban areas, thus bringing up many specialized dentist facilities like Smiles By Dixon to meet the rising demand of people who want to improve their dental appearance.
There are various types of cosmetic dentistry techniques, including:
- Inlays and Onlays –This procedure is also known as . These filings are used when a tooth has mild to moderate decay or insufficient tooth structure to support a filling. Provided there’s no damage to the tooth cusps, the inlay is placed directly onto the tooth surface. Your dental expert may use an onlay to cover the entire surface of the tooth if the cusp of a more substantial portion of the tooth is harmed.
- Composite bonding –refers to the repair of decayed, damaged, or discolored teeth using material that resembles tooth enamel color. In this case, the dentist removes the tooth decay, then apply a composite onto the tooth surface and sculpt it into the right shape before curing it with a high-intensity light. This procedure successfully hides the damage to the tooth and replaces it with a healthy tooth.
- Dental veneers: are custom-designed caps that cover the natural teeth and are made of medical-grade ceramic. They have a rather natural appearance and can correct a variety of cosmetic issues such as bent teeth, broken or weakened enamel, and visible differences between teeth. Using a dental glue, the dentist places the veneer on the front of each tooth.
- Teeth whitening: Being one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry procedures, this procedure can be performed at your dentist’s office, often by a single visit. Over the years, teeth develop stains and get worn from food, drinks, medication, and personal habits such as smoking. A dental hygienist will first remove plaque, tar, and other debris from each tooth’s surface, restoring its natural appearance. The teeth can be whitened with a bleaching agent to achieve an even lighter shade than their original color.
- Implants –Dental implants are used to repair teeth that have been missing or destroyed. A thin titanium screw is inserted into the jaw at the location of the missing tooth, which acts as a brace for a crown. These implants are almost distinct from the normal teeth around them. The implant is securely sealed into position until the bone and supportive tissue fuse to it. To clean plaque and food particles from the regions of your teeth, you must exercise attentive oral hygiene during the implant insertion process and after the procedure is finished.
Benefits of cosmetic dentistry
- Affordability –Contrary to popular belief, cosmetic dentistry is very affordable, and you can accomplish your dream appearance without needing to break your bank account.
- Better self-esteem –Good teeth restore the lost self-confidence, taking away the embarrassment that used to accompany decaying teeth, improving your social interactions.
- Health improvement– Cosmetic dentistry highly impacts your overall health by successfully solving your teeth problems and other oral conditions.
- Visual appearance enhancement: Your smile often judges your appearance. You can try treatments like teeth alignment or whitening procedures to enhance your overall visual aspect.
- Cosmetic dentistry can last up to 10 years. This is a huge advantage to patients as it puts restraints on the amount of money and time dedicated to maintenance.
- Painless and quick procedures– Modern cosmetic dentistry involves quick and painless methods, thanks to modern technologies. You are able to go on with your regular activities just after having a procedure.
Dental technology has lent a quick, efficient, and cost-effective solution to improving your smile with the application of cosmetic dentistry procedures. You can consult a cosmetic dentist today and find out what improvements you would need to undergo!